I recently committed an old programming project to Github.
The project is several years old – older than Java 5 at least, since I had to add some generics to the code to get rid of some compiler nags before committing it.
It was one of my early TDD exercises. It was the last iteration of a quest I was on to develop a realistic world map generator that could be used, for example, in games such as Civilization or for any other purpose that might call for fictional worlds. Over the years I had tried several different algorithmic approaches and used several different programming languages: C, C++, Visual Basic, and finally Java.
When I was about to take a look at the code after all these years, I felt some trepidation. I’ve downloaded many open-source projects and I’m used to the shock that often accompanies the first peek at unfamiliar code. Clean code is not a universal value, and sometimes beautiful code is in the eye of the beholder. This code for the map generator was old enough to have become somewhat unfamiliar, and I was prepared for the worst.
On the whole, I was relieved to find that the code was reasonably clean. My experience of reading clean code is that you feel a kind of disbelief that code that seems so simple could be producing such complex behaviour. Well-factored, clean code looks, paradoxically, unimpressive because it is so easy to follow. To reverse a questionable old adage, it was harder to write so it could be easier to read.
What I saw was certainly not perfect. There were many conventions regarding unit testing that I evidently had not yet established for myself at the time the program was written, and it could still use some even more aggressive refactoring. As I recall, I simply ran out of steam toward the end of the project, so it’s possible I knew about these problems at the time but didn’t get around to fixing them.
The biggest thing that struck me upon reviewing this project was how far away it seemed. I had obviously been obsessed with map generation for many years, to the point of learning some GIS techniques and using it as a guinea pig project for new languages and new techniques. Even though I’m pretty self-motivated, in the end I ran out of steam. In the absence of a user community for this project, it became impossible to rationalize the effort anymore.
No matter how independent-minded I am, no matter how internal the art of programming is, in the end it seems that software is all about fulfilling the needs of others.